SR Community Member Spotlight: SwRI

Mon, July 11, 2022

As part of an ongoing series, we are featuring SPRINT Robotics member companies on SR Community. This month: SwRI, an independent, non-profit, applied research and development organization. With headquarters occupying more than 1,500 acres in San Antonio, Texas, SwRI is 3,000 professionals strong specializing in the creation and transfer of technology in engineering and the physical sciences.    

Tell us about your company in 1-2 sentences. 

SwRI is a private, non-profit R&D institute. Our robotics division is active in a wide range of industrial robotics applications. 

Where is your company based and how many employees does your company have? 

Headquarters in San Antonio, Texas with nearly 3,000 employees. 

What have you appreciated most about being a member of the SPRINT Robotics Collaborative? 

SPRINT is a wonderful way to learn about and engage in industrial inspection & maintenance robotics. 

How would you describe your company culture in just three words? 

Deliver for clients. 

What makes your company stand out? 

Multi-disciplinary. We can bring together a wide range of leading technologies to solve difficult problems. 

Which developments in I&M robotics are you most excited about? 

Autonomous surface preparation and inspection capabilities. 

What is the greatest challenge that your company has faced in I&M robotics? 

I&M presents a wide variety of challenging problems and environments that requires pushing the state of the art in technology. 

Has your company won any awards or are there any other achievements you would like to share? 

We recently explored a nuclear powerplant using an autonomous drone. 

Look into the future. What developments do you see happening in your company? 

We are developing an increasing variety of robots (crawlers, UGVs, UAVs, industrial manipulators, etc.), and making increasing use of machine vision and artificial intelligence to allow these robots to perform more complex tasks in more difficult environments. 

Is there a link of your solution you would like to share? 

Would you like to be a part of the Company Spotlight Series on SR Community? Contact us sprintrobotics@sprintrobotics.org